Saturday, January 19, 2013

Travels

Hey Blogging world.

So this blog is all about my experience with HELP international in Mbale, Uganda. Approximately ten percent of Uganda is plagued with HIV/AIDS and malaria is the #1 killer of infants of all known diseases. I am here to assist in helping the people receive proper health care and health education. I, like you, can't wait to see how this story unfolds.

The journey to Uganda was an incredibly long one. Our flight left at 11:33pm on Tuesday January 8 and we didn't reach Mbale until Thursday January 10 at 11:30 am. This was not your average few days a travel. The most eventful part of it was having a 13 hour layover in Istanbul, Turkey.
What an amazing place. The traditional highlights were seeing the Blue Mosque, Haggia Sofia, and the Grand Bazaar. The comical highlights were getting into the country and on the metro. After landing I learned that Turkish people have absolutely no concept for a line and they will push you out of the way to get their visa asap. I wasn't too worried about that. What I was worried about was figuring out how to get out of the dang airport. They have English signs everywhere but they did not make sense. So we just got in the shortest line we could find and it worked. They stamped us and we were free. Expect that we had NO clue how to get down town. We got our money exchanged without any clue what the currency was and how it transferred. So as I was buying my Metro token I put in 500 Lyra. I thought that was plenty but the machine would not let me get my token. So a man named Onosh was kind enough to help us get on our way. He even gave me his number. How kind of him. haha.

Although it was covered in snow, Turkey is stunning. Their architecture is miraculous. We wandered around the ancient building in wonder and awe. The Grand Bazaar though, that place is incredible. It is every girls' dream shopping center. Everywhere you turn there is a little cove store with beautiful lamps decorating the entrance. I loved it.

Getting back on the Metro to the airport was just as much an adventure. Some man just came up to us and we thought he was there to help us get our tokens so Hannah and Lauren gave them money. I was busy filming the last look at the city before we left and wasn't aware of what they were doing. I figured they had been talking to him and he was helping them so when he asked for my money I gave it to him. I realized he was scamming us when he started to walk away. haha. Well I wasn't about to let this man walk away with my money so I chased him down, jumped on his back, tackled him to the ground and forced the money from him.... ok that may be a little bit of an exaggeration! I just went after him and made him put the money in the machine to get our tokens. It worked and away we went.Waiting for our last flight was horrible because we were all exhausted but we got on and finally at 4:20am we made it to Africa!!

Coming from negative degree weather to Africa's beautiful climate was the best feeling. However, it rained most of the way home and our luggage was on top of the car. The drive from Entebbee airport to Mbale is usually about 5 hours but we didn't make a turn when we were supposed to so it ended up being about 6.5 hours. It was no joy ride either. If you've been to Nebraska, New York or Utah you still have no concept of the pot holes, half road half dirt, cars, scooters and people everywhere and crazy drivers like they have here. Literally there are no road dividers and people drive on whatever side of the road they want to depending on the condition of the road. This takes the game of chicken to a whole new level. If I wasn't so amazed by the scenery I probably would have had a panic attack.

Seriously what a beautiful country. Wait a second.... I'm in UGANDA. What the heck!!! Let's just pause and take that in for a moment. I'm... In.... UGANDA!! I can't believe it. I really can't.

BUT...

This is real life and What a life I live!

No comments:

Post a Comment