Sunday, March 24, 2013

I like Uganda


 Well it has been quite a long time hasn't it...

We had an HIV testing day in Namatala. We literally had to turn people away because so many people showed up. My job was to keep the kids entertained. So we had music going and we just danced and danced. These kids know how to move.


 These are some of my students at St. Stephens. They range from ages 12-18. Parents pay tuition for ALL schooling through university. When you have 8 children to put through school and you are just a farmer, this presents a problem. That's how many of the families are in Uganda. So for these kids to be in school is incredible.

 We hiked Sipi Falls.
This Camellia literally freaked me out. But we became friends in the end.


 The hike got a little hot so we decided to take a dip in the river. Just up the rocks there were a ton of little kids playing in the river. most of the were naked. yup.
 Beautiful scenery along the way and I made it!


 Friday night movies at the church. "The Other Side of Heaven". I can't even begin to describe my new found appreciation for people who live in 3rd world countries. There are places in Uganda identical to the conditions those people in that movie face. It's remarkable the happiness people can find through the simple things in life.

Like taking pictures... they can't get enough of it.



I "learned" how to cut scuma. When I picked up the knife they tried to explain what a knife does like I have never touched one in my life. Come to find out that they literally thought I had never touched a knife because they believed that all white people had maids and cooks.



Uganda is wonderful. I am having a fantastic time. The people here are so easy to serve because they are so grateful for anything we do.  I am truly blessed to have this opportunity and I've only got one month left.

1 comment: